my neighbor entered my property unatherized and my dog bit…

Customer Question
my neighbor entered my property...
my neighbor entered my property unatherized and my dog bit him what should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/20/2010
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. Anytime a dog bites someone, it is legally required they be quarantined for a period of time to make sure there are no diseases. Having said that, after that period of time, you are entitled to the return of your dog. Because your neighbor came upon your property, you are not liable to your neighbor because your dog does not need to be leashed on your own property.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

can the dog warden refuse to give my dog back and what can I do to keep them from doing so

Based on your facts, the warden can not legally refused to return your dog...but oftentimes these types exercise far more authority than they actually possess and then make up the facts to fit their actions. If your dog is not returned, you will need to file a motion with the local court system seeking a court order mandating that your dog be returned.