How do I add my adult sons name to my property deed?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2010
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good evening. All you need to do is prepare a Quit Claim Deed transferring whatever interest in the property you desire to transfer. This Deed will need to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the local real property records. Then, you are done!

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

I want my son to be a co-owner of my property so that in the event of my death, there would be no problem for him to sell the home. There is no mortgage on this home. Do I need to go thru a lawyer? I have no idea how to record a deed.

Ok...here's the thing...if you transfer it to him as joint tenants with right of survivorship, at your death the property will automatically become 100% his; if you transfer it to him without designating it as joint tenants with right or survivorship, then he will own 1/2 and you will own 1/2 and at your death, your half will go pursuant to your will...based on your desires, better to go the "joint tenant with right of survivorship" route. You should probably use a lawyer for this just to make sure you get it done right, but this is a very simple transaction and should not cost you more than a few hundred dollars.