How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an unpaid medical bill and today received a summons.

Resolved Question:

I have an unpaid medical bill and today received a summons. What do I do next?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
How old is the debt? How much is it? What is your ability to pay?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>One year today my second child was born. The hospital bill in this case from my wifes insurance company at the time (Group Health) was approximately $1,500.00. After interest the bill is around $1,600.00 and after now statutory court costs, it is now just under $2,000. </p><p>Before it got to this point, I was informed if i submit the proper doucmentation regarding our household income, that it would probably qualify as a charity case my debt may be written off.</p><p>I have no excuse for my neglience of never submitting the paper work except I always thought I'd eventually be able to pay for it but I shouldve just swallowed my pride and done it. </p><p>So now Group Health thru Merchant Credit Corportation has filled a summons thru a law office.</p><p>At this point I presume it is to late to sumbit the paper work, especially now a firm is involved. Btw, we are a family of 4, my wife stays with the kids and i make 1250.00 net every other month.</p><p>What can I do and what should I do next? </p>
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You can call the law office and try to work out a payment plan but I don't see how you are surviving now. Talk to the attorney and see if they will write it off. Wage garnishment is allowed under RCW 6.27.005. It is limited to greater of 25% of disposable earnings or thirty times the federal minimum wage. RCW 6.27.150 and 6.27.010
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I apoligize, I actually make 1250.00 every other week not every other month. Sorry. Im sure that changes your response. Again my apoligies. Regardless, would still suggest calling the attorney?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Yes. Often they will accept an offer of half.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Although, I understand this is advice and you never know what the attorney will say, is that half of what is due excluding court costs(attorney fees, processing fees, etc.)? Even if half or whatever amount gets written off, dont I still have to pay those extra fees since it got to the extent of having to being summoned before I responded?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
It will be half of what you owe now if they will even accept that. It is a negotiation.

An accept for my time is always appreciated
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, its a negotiation so there are no answer until I contact the attorney. It said in the summon that I have 20 days, so if Im able to work it out with their attorney do i still have to submit anything to the court?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
No you do not if you reach a settlement but you do need to be sure that the other party files a dismissal
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So in a case like this, no need to get my own attorney and just talk with theirs. Also since its gotten to the point of a summon, its useless to submit directly to the hospital the charity paperwork to see if they wouldve written off the entire bill? Sorry for all the questions, I promise im not trying to draw this out. I just want to know the best course of action monday morning. I'll probabley accept answer after your next reply. Thanks youve been great, and thank you for your time. Its just a scary time for my wife and I.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
That is correct, it is not worth an attorney. Just work with theirs and if you can't then file an answer with a general denial.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, your answer led to one LAST question, what do you mean by file an answer with a general denial? Submission to the court since it hasnt been resolved? Then what after that and what is a general denial? I promise NO MORE questions. I will hit accept answer after your next reply.

I thank you again and thank you for your time. This service you provide is great and helped prevent me from spending more money on an attorny face to face which wouldve answered the same questions. Thank you again and you will definitly receive a positive feedback score from me. Good day to you sir.



Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
It is just an answer that denies you owe the money. Here is a sample for credit cards
lwpat and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you