My uncle cosigned a personal loan with me and went and paid…

Customer Question
My uncle cosigned a personal...
My uncle cosigned a personal loan with me and went and paid it off and now he is suing me for the loan, attorney fees and the court costs. I had no idea he was going to pay it off. I told him I would pick up the payments again as soon as I could but haven't heard a word from him since. What can I do? I was just served papers today.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: NYLAWLADY, Attorney replied 8 years ago
NYLAWLADY
NYLAWLADY, Attorney
When you defaulted on the payments, because he co-signed the loan he is personally liable and I' sure they went after him for payment, so he paid it and is now is well within his rights to recover the amount from you in court. Saying you would pick up the payments as soon as you can is not an answer.

I know he has the right to get his money back I just want to know what I can do or should do about this because I don't have that kind of money just laying around and I cannot get a loan for that kind of money because I was trying to file bankruptcy and that fell through.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
You can ask to enter a payment plan, otherwise, he will get a judgment and if you declare bankruptcy, will join your list of creditors and be dealt with the trustee in bankruptcy, other than that when he gets the judgment he can enforce it against you and garnish your wages.