I recently joined a group to build a monument for fallen soldiers.

Customer Question
   While researching, I found that...
I recently joined a group to build a monument for fallen soldiers.    While researching, I found that the founder has rasied approx. $8,000 or more, before there was a board set up, which I am Now on. There was only about $3,000 in the account when I started. He has spent the money on office furniture for his house, oriental trading company (items that he gave away) and flags and I don't know what else. I really want this monument to be built, because I am a mother of a fallen soldier. I don't know what to do? What would your legal advice be? Can I take the idea and start my own group?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: MShore, Attorney replied 8 years ago
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for the post, you and the other board members need to request an accounting explaining that you have reason to believe that at one point the group held $8,000 in assets which has been reduced to $3000.
I asked at our last meetng and he said it takes money to make money and start up cost. He is mis-managing the money, by buying so many items. Fancy busness cards, things to hang up at meetings...etc. We do have someone looking at the books. He is the founder and it is his idea. I am now VP for Fundraising, and just raised $4,000, I can raise the money needed on my own, but this was his idea, would he have legal action if I resigned from his group and started my own, where I know all money would go towards the monument?
Thank you for the post, no he would not have any action against you for starting your own group/non-profit that has an identical purpose.
Thank you is there a percentage of the money that a Non-for profit raises that can be legally spent? We live in MO.

Hello, MO nor federal law places such a cap on non-profit allocations, it really boils down to whether the expenses are truly for the benefit of or furtherance of the non-profit's business.

MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX really important to me. I appreciate your help and I will use this site again if I ever need a little help on trying to make a decission.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good day.