been married 20 years and left husband and we both have filed…

Customer Question
been married 20 years and...
been married 20 years and left husband and we both have filed without using a lawyer...he now tells me he will pay me nothing for i am not intitled to anything,for he will not have anything to live on...i just lost my job and am living with my sister...am i not intitled to spousal support from him....part of his pension..401k...??????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
I have no idea what you filed but you need to check with the court to see what has been done. You are entitled to half of the marital estate including retirement funds. You will also be entitled to permanent alimony. You need to borrow the money and have your attorney request that he pay your legal expenses. Here is the referral site

http://www.avvo.com
we filed divorced papers without using a lawer..we filed at the courthouse...now have a 120 day cool off period...he says he will pay me nothing...
I understand all of that. The problem is what you filed and have agreed to. If you want what you are entitled to you need an attorney to protect your rights.
there was a box that asked the court to grant maintance....i forgot to check that...can i still work around this...i'm useing mountainmans account..he has tried to help me...but he knows i cant affort a lawyer to protect me.so he sent me here..this is where he started and got a lawyer to protect his rights.....i just dont want to thing i screwed myself at this point..or if i get a lawyer they will help me and get him to pay my lawyer fees..i dont want my husband to get the upper hand after putting up with him for 20 years....moluntainman says i'm intitled to what you ssaid...
are you still there to help me....i feel like i was just kicked in the chest hard...we have 2 children...17 and 16...i want to get my own place and have them..but i dont have money for an apt either..so they are with him right now....i'm lost and scared....