I was married in kansas and am about to deploy..my husband…

Customer Question
I was married in kansas...
I was married in kansas and am about to deploy..my husband resides in indiana and i am needing to file for divorce or an anulment before i go. Unfortunitlly i leave for over seas in 3 weeks...i need to find out if i can file and if so, would i file in kansas the state we were married in or in indiana where he lives????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Thank you for your service to our country.

You may file for divorce in any state where either you or your husband have resided for the prior 6 months or the state in which you are currently stationed. Therefore you may file an either Texas or Indiana.

I'm heading to Kansas on pass from the 26th of june to the 30th, would i just go to the clerks office to file and if so would i need to appear for court or do they just takeit from there? Since ill be over sea's i won't have my phone nor be able to return home for court, so would my father be able to sit in for me since he has power of attorney??

Michelle

Unfortunately you will need to be present for court appearance or you will have to retain legal counsel to appear in your stead. Your father can not sit in for you with the power of attorney unless he is an attorney himself.
Would getting an anullment be optional? We were married May 10th this year....?

Unfortunately annulments are not based upon the time that you are married.

Grounds for annulment include bigamy, legally incapacity to marry based upon age or mental illness, intent to defraud some other person, business, or government agency or failure to consummate the marriage.

If you have not met one of these grounds, you will need to file for divorce

Wow....so would you suggest i wait till i get back from the deployment to file for divorce since i won't be able to appear in court due to the deployment??
You will either need to file on your return from deployment or retain legal counsel to represent you