I had a deck that is outside my kitchen side of the home that…

Customer Question
I had a deck that...
I had a deck that is outside my kitchen side of the home that I can go out onto through the kitchen french doors. The deck was extended outwards by 5 feet 4 years ago. The builder had all proper documents, permit from the city we live in and is licensed. Just several weeks ago we decided to have more work done to our deck. We wanted to have a roof put over it and then screened in. We contacted the same builder and he proceeded with the process of getting permit. A week ago he began the work by lifting up all the wood floor boards on deck to replace with new wood we had requested. We than noticed he left about 3 or 4 boards there and did not return for several days so we contacted him and he daid he never got the permit and that the city refused it. Of course we could not understand why he began before getting the permit. He said that he had the application in and was sure that he would have gotton it. The city now will not give permit to anyone to put deck back together as before.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.You may need local lawyer here to resolve.I blame the first contractor here.He shoudl have followed up with city to make sure it passed final inspection and everything was finished out correctly.I just don't see anyway around a lawyer to force resolution unless you just rip up the boards and cave in here.The lawyer would seek to contest all of this with the city.

The NC Lawyer Referral Service is a nonprofit public service sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association Foundation. While using the Service you can be confident that you’ll be referred to an attorney who is in good standing, able to answer your legal questions and if necessary will provide representation. WE DO NOT MAKE REFERRALS TO PRO BONO, OR FREE, ATTORNEYS. Legal Aid of NC provides assistance for some legal matters for qualified individuals.

Attorney’s participating in the LRS agree to charge no more than $50 (price increase effective for referrals made beginning January 2010) for the first 30 minutes of the initial consultation. The NC Lawyer Referral Service is available to you by telephone (Call Center) or online (NC Find-a-Lawyer).

By contacting the Call Center, you will speak with an LRS specialist who will interview you to determine what area of law best fits your situation. In counties where no LRS attorneys are present, LRS will attempt to locate attorneys in nearby counties.

If you choose to use NC Find-a-Lawyer, you will proceed step by step through a brief questionnaire (name, county, area of law) which initiates the referral process. NC Find-a-Lawyer is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and referrals are not subject to any review by LRS staff members.

NEED A LAWYER AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIND ONE?

Call CenterNC Find-a-Lawyer
Monday-Friday (9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.)
In state: 1-800-662-7660
Out of state:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr /> Raleigh area:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
24 hours per day, 7 days per week

Edited by RayAnswers on 6/19/2010 at 2:53 PM EST