Can an Attorney tell a client that a Hearing is cancelled…

Customer Question
Can an Attorney tell a...
Can an Attorney tell a client that a "Hearing" is cancelled then show up at the hearing to represent them? This happened to me and it had a major influence on my case. Interestingly my Attorney had met with the other party's Attorney's only 3 days prior.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

I can answer your question with one word - "no." That said, there might have been mitigating factors. If you want more specific information, I would need to know: What state you are in? What kind of case is (or was) it? What was the purpose and result of the hearing. What was the final outcome of the case, if it is over. How long ago did this all occur?

Please click on the green ACCEPT button so that I will be compensated for this answer. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you have any follow up question feel free to ask it. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.

Thank you for your responce. I really didn't think that was ethical. The case was in Holmes County, OH. It concerned a divorce issue and My ex husband's business that he was involved in. The settlement was dated 12/14/09. Jugde White sealed the case. I am niave in legal issues and am not sure what all that means. Can you explain and is there anything I can do?

I still don't know anything about your situation. Only that there was a settlement in December and you want to know what it means and if there's anything you can do about it. Do about what? What was wrong with the Dec. 14 settlement? Didn't you sign it? You might be naive in legal issues, but your lawyer isn't. You should tell him what you disagree with and make him explain things to your satisfaction, or go to a different lawyer. There are plenty of them out there looking for work these days.

Edited by IrwinLaw on 6/20/2010 at 8:50 PM EST