This is a large 600 unit complex with many college age tenants…

Customer Question
This is a large 600...
This is a large 600 unit complex with many college age tenants that like to party drunkenly until 2 to 3 AM during the week and weekends. I get up for work at 6:00AM. I currently sleep deprived. I've talked to the landlord and there is a guard on duty in the evenings but I can't get the noise to stop. I love my apt. and I don't want to move but I've lost my right to quiet enjoyment. What recourse do I have. I live in Los Angeles, Ca
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

You may need to file suit against the landlord for breaching the covenant of quiet enjoyment. You can show that due to the landlord's inaction you cannot make full use of your apartment. You will need to obtain some noise measurement device so you can establish that the noise is excessive, and the time the noise is occurring.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Where do I purchase a noise measuring device?

Radio Shack used to carry a decibel meter.