I have lived in my apartment complex now for 2 years. When…

Customer Question
I have lived in my...
I have lived in my apartment complex now for 2 years. When I moved in I signed a one-year lease and completed that agreement. I signed a new one-year lease on that same apartment the next day. A few months later I wanted to upgrade to a larger apartment so the management company tore up my old lease and had me sign a new one-year lease. Today I noticed that the lease expiration date was marked as November 20,2010, but was x-ed out leaving no clear expiration date. I pulled my first lease and the expiration date was clearly listed. My second lease did have the date also written but too was x-ed out, but the apartment manager went back and hand wrote the date and initialed it before I signed it. Since my current lease does not have a clear expiration date does that mean I am obligated to stay until Nov 30, 2010?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

Without an expiration date you are effectively on a month to month lease. Your lease is indefinite. Typically this means you will need to give at least one full month's notice prior to departing the apartment. Likewise you landlord must give you at least one month's notice. You also lose rent stability since the lease can be changed with one month's notice. You may want to talk to the manager and get an agreed upon expiration date.

If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.