I changed my first name while getting naturalized, but never…

Customer Question
I changed my first name...
I changed my first name while getting naturalized, but never used the new spelling of the name in social security or driver's license.

Now I am claiming social security benefits that require me to present the naturalization certificate, which has my never used new name.

I would like to change back to my old first name, but the social security officers are telling me that they have to go by what's on my naturalization papers.

How do I get my name changed on my passport and or naturalization certificate, so I don't have to change it with social security and dmv etc. ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your correction.This is correctable here.These are the steps and forms for reference..

http://www.ehow.com/how_5672855_change-name-naturalization-certificate.html
I don't really want to change in the naturalization certificate. I need the steps to legally change my name back with social security.

Anyway -- I think I found the steps already somewhere else.

Thanks anyway.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You would have to change you r legal name here to be able to have social security here change it.They go by legal name.Here's self help to petition for name change.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/other/namechangeform.htm