do I need an order to get a case removed from state to fed…

Customer Question
do I need an order...
do I need an order to get a case removed from state to federal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

If you want to remove a case from state court, you would need to file an appropriate motion. The motion would detail why the case should be removed to federal court. After the motion is filed, the other party may agree to the removal. If not, then it would need to be set for a hearing. Ultimately, if removal is appropriate, an order would be entered and the case would be transferred to the federal court.

does that apply in every case?

It applies in every case that is subject to removal, yes. Cases are not automatically removed, someone has to initiate such an action.

so even if someone files a notice of removal to the federal court and to the state, without an order it is not removed?

Correct. Once the case is initiated at the state level, there must be an order granting the removal and initiating the transfer of the case.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.