My fiance was in drug court, I thought he finished the program.

Customer Question
He has been running for...
My fiance was in drug court, I thought he finished the program. He has been running for almost 2 yrs. This is first time to be in drug court. But, he has a history of drinking. Since we have been togeather as a couple he does not do the things that he used to do. He is 44 and finally realized that his so called friends are not friends and he can have a good life. Now he has been picked up, Do they give 2ed chances to people that was on the program? I think he signed the paper saying that he would go to prison for 10 yrs. if he did not complete the program. The difference now is that he has 2 bosses willing to work with him and we have 2 incomes, a car and people to stand behind him 100%. My job is flexable and I'm able to take him where he needs to go. Could you please help me? I really do not understand the system. If he is sentenced 10 yrs how long will he really be in there? Or Can they give him 1 more chance?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Thank you for your question.

By "running", do you mean that he has been avoiding the program for 2 years?
Yes, he stopped going. He had been working with a guy that worked out of town. He does not have a licence so he would end up missing work to go to the classes then he wouldn't have the money to pay because he missed work, it got to be to much I guess. He had no help getting around
I see. Thank you for the explanation.

Does he have an attorney or a public defender assisting him at this time?
He has a court appointed attourney. He is the one that told me he does not care about Derek's jobs or how much he makes, Derek signed saying that if he did not do what he was supposed to do that he would go 10 yrs to prison, so he will go to prison. To me that does not sound like someone who is willing to see if Derek can be put back on drug court to finish out what he needs to.
Thank you for your follow-up.

In essence I must agree with your court-appointed attorney. Please permit me to explain.

The courts generally do not care at all about outside employment or outside responsibilities if the party to a court-ordered agreement refused to complete the terms. That means that if your fiance signed and agreed to complete the terms, which he did not do, the punishment for it has to be carried out and the courts will do so unless there is good cause of some kind that did not permit your fiance in completing the terms. If her an without cause, that will not be looked upon favorably by the courts and they will be much more likely to provide the sentence.

Please realize that I prefer to provide you with the information as to how it is rather than how you may wish it to be.

I am sorry.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/18/2010 at 7:09 PM EST