Can I be sued for foreclosing on rental properties or made…

Customer Question
Can I be sued for...
Can I be sued for foreclosing on rental properties or made to pay the remainder of the loss the bank sold it for?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: LEV, Retired replied 8 years ago
LEV
LEV, Retired

Generally - as long as mortgage obligations are signed - the borrower is responsible for the amount of the loan.

Some states (so-called - no-recourse states) have a law preventing banks from pursue you for their financial losses if they foreclose on your property.

Not in Alabama... in Alabama the lender may get a deficiency judgment.

Your only way to negotiate with the lender about forgiveness of the debt.

In most situations - expenses to collect the debt might be so high that the bank agrees to settle.

The amount of the forgiven debt is reportable on 1099-C - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099c.pdf - and, generally, is taxable, unless an insolvency exemption apply -- you should file a form 982 - to proof the insolvency - and might exclude all or part of canceled debt from taxable income.

Please see the IRS Publication 908 Bankruptcy Tax Guide - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p908.pdf - with example of the form 982 on the last page.

A debtor is insolvent when, and to the extent, the debtor's liabilities exceed the FMV of the assets. Determine the debtor's liabilities and the FMV of the assets immediately before the cancellation of the debtor's debt to determine whether or not the debtor is insolvent and the amount by which the debtor is insolvent.

Insolvency is determined by filing the form 982.

Let me know if you need any help.

Edited by LEV on 6/18/2010 at 6:21 PM EST