im a homeowner and my job closed in 2008 im behined in my morgage…

Customer Question
im a homeowner and my...
im a homeowner and my job closed in 2008 im behined in my morgage and ive asked my bank for a modification its taking almost 2yrs for a response they keep asking for updated info i keep up dating it now im 37000 behind ive gotten a much less paying job just to keep food and lights on my wife on unemployment also ,Q.... should i file for bankruptsy.im
afraid of losing my house...respectfully XXXXX XXXXX for a miricle....
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Dear JACUSTOMER - You can try to seek protection in the bankruptcy court however you would have to qualify for a Chapter 13 in order to be able to make at least some loan payments. The lender has a right to foreclose on the property, even in a bankruptcy, so you can't simply wipe out the mortgage and keep the house. A Chapter 13 can result if lowering payments and can allow you to keep the property but I cannot possibly analyze your overall situation from this website to tell you if you would be eligible.

The lawyer fees on a Chapter 13 are generally paid along with the other payments so there are usually few up front costs. You would need to get a consultation appointment with a local bankruptcy attorney in order to have your entire situation reviewed. It does not appear that the loan modification is going to be successful If it's any consolation few of these modifications actually go through as it is just another failed government promise to help.Since your income has been reduced and the balance is so high I doubt that you will qualify but every situation is different so you might as well keep trying.

I would still get the appointment with the bankruptcy attorney just to know all of your options.

Dave Kennett

what about a chapter 7 bankruptsy could that help this situation im in

Well a Chapter 7 wipes out all debt but the bank and any other secured creditor can take back the property that is used to secure a loan such as houses and cars. If you don't mind losing the house certainly the Chapter 7 would get rid of all debts. That's what I was trying to explain in my first answer about using a Chapter 13 if you wanted to save the house.

Dave

what about these law firms that state u can apply for bankruptsy and still keep ur property and car....

That's what is called a Chapter 13. It is a bankruptcy but there is a payment plan. There is no law that allows you to simply wipe out your mortgage and still keep the property. You can wipe out other debts and keep your house by paying the mortgage through reaffirmation and the same with vehicles but the mortgage isn't just going to go away because you file a bankruptcy.

Dave

do i have an option of a short sale and can i walk away with some money to start over....

A short sale will not give you any extra money and it is up to the lender as toe whether they will even approve a short sale. So it's an option but I doubt it will provide you with what you want. I wish I had some other solution but the options are very limited in this situation. Another possibility is a deed in lieu of foreclosure where you simply sign the property back to the bank. Once again, it is up to the bank to accept or reject such an offer. You would not receive any extra money from a deed in lieu.

The only way to walk away with some money is if the house will sell for more than the mortgage balance. If that happens then you would be able to keep the equity amount.

Dave

can i file for a chapter my self without a legal court officer? file the papers to the court my self....
Yes you can represent yourself.
Sorry for the delay at which court do I file my self and what time frame is it to see a judge.do I have enough time to get it started and once I get started can the bank stop it...

This is filed in the Federal Court. It is very complicated and I can't predict how fast the case will be heard. Once you file the court will place what is called a "stay" on all creditors from taking any further action until the matter is heard. The Federal Court is separate from the local court system and, while you can represent yourself it is not a wise thing to do.

You should be able to get this filed very quickly, even within a few days and then the court will set it on the docket for the first hearing. Bankruptcy is a completely separate area of law and requires some expertise to navigate through all the rules.

Dave