If you have been common law marriage in texas living together…

Customer Question
If you have been common...
If you have been common law marriage in texas living together for 8 years or more. The home we are in is not in my name its in his my the house is paid for. since we have been living together i have my share of bills and he has his. now a few years ago hurricane IKE came through texas and damaged alot of homes and in house personal property. the insurance is in his name, we got a small settlement, which was not enough to pay for damages, so we found another attorney at mostlyn law attorney firm and through the long process they finally settle since some of the bills in the house i required and loss things due to IKE hurricane damage and I sent in bank statement to te law firm right along with his statement, now in the end since they have settle, now money change people and do not want to give me anything I lose alot too, before the money came the law firm was talking to me and him and now he has called the firm to only speak to him now. what can i do if anything?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Unfortunately, since the house in not in your name, and the insurance is not in your name, any payouts from the insurance go to him and not to you. If he is willing to share that with you it is entirely up to him, but I am sorry to say that you don't have any legal claim to those proceeds.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly

I thought in texas everything was community property. I can pay all the other bills in the house but i cannot get a portion of the money from the insurance

Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Community property is an entirely different matter. That does not mean you own the house. That means if you get divorced (if you fulfilled the requirements of common law marriage to start with) then the property could be considered in the divorce. That is all. It isn't your house so you can't get any of the money from the insurance. Sorry.