My daughter signed a contract with a venue in Austin, TX for…

Customer Question
My daughter signed a contract...
My daughter signed a contract with a venue in Austin, TX for a wedding on May 7,2011 and put down quite a hefty deposit. After putting numbers together she and her finance realized it was not within their budget. She contacted the the venue shortly and was told the owners were out of town. She did put the deposit on my credit card, which I thought was a $500 deposit to hold the date but when my credit card bill came in, the deposit was $3422.50. Wow! The venue is only willing to refund $1350 of her deposit. I do believe this is unreasonable since we are willing to give them $500 for a rebooking fee. This venue only had 3 dates to choose from at the time we were there and I do feel the venue consultant pressured her saying someone else was looking at the same date. What would happen if I refuse to pay the credit card charge? What can they legally do to her, since she is the one that signed the contract but I am financially responsible for the bill. Thank you,
Debbie Wilson
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Law Pro, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Attorney
Do you have a written contract with the venue? If so, what does it state about cancellation?
My daughter signed the contract and I have not seen it. So I can not say exactly what it says but understand it says no refunds, but in checking with most other venues there is a certain percentage refunded according to the date of cancellation notification.
That's with the other venues - their refund policy isn't applicable to your matter - it's this venue's refund policy as per the contract when you cancel that's applicable.

You need to get a copy of the contract and review it for what it says about cancelling the booking.

The venue is only willing to refund $1350 of her deposit. I do believe this is unreasonable since we are willing to give them $500 for a rebooking fee.

They don't necessarily have to refund anything - you have to look at the contract.

This venue only had 3 dates to choose from at the time we were there and I do feel the venue consultant pressured her saying someone else was looking at the same date.

This is not the type of contract nor the type of threat where the contract can be voided because of "duress".

Duress in the context of contract law is a common law defense, and if one is successful in proving that the contract is vitiated by duress, the contract may be rescinded, since it is then voidable.

Duress has been defined as a "threat of harm made to compel a person to do something against his or her will or judgment; esp., a wrongful threat made by one person to compel a manifestation of seeming assent by another person to a transaction without real volition". - Black's Law Dictionary (8th ed. 2004)

What would happen if I refuse to pay the credit card charge?

Then the credit card company will come after you for the monies - the venue is out of the picture because they already have their money.

What can they legally do to her, since she is the one that signed the contract but I am financially responsible for the bill.

They can certainly sue her for the balance of monies owed pursuant to the contract/agreement.

Your not financially responsible UNLESS you also signed the contract - only she is liable because you didn't sign such.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.