I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 14 years and he is…

Customer Question
I recently broke up with...
I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 14 years and he is telling me he is not obligated to give me any of the possessions we have acquired throughout the years. How can this be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question.What precisely can I answer for you?
My question
He has no basis for it. You can call the police to escort you to remove them to begin with. that should avoid need for a lawyer letter or lawsuit.

No basis for what? He holds all the cards items are in his possession.

Reach out to the police

they need a court order to do anyting

Then sue for the return of the items or have a lawyer first demand in writing
Relist: Answer quality.
He says he has no obligation to give me anything, but we acquired it together so I do believe he has some obligation to separate the possessions.
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Normally, unmarried couple have to have some type of a written agreement to enforce their property rights upon separation. If there was no written agreement, then you have to see if there are any facts that would support an implied agreement which could be an oral one or one based on the conduct and actions of the parties.

Alabama is a State that recognizes common law marriages. If you and your boyfriend were holding yourselves out as married, you may have some basis to argue that you are entitled to the same property divisions as a married couple upon separation or divorce.

So, you could file a suit based on a written or implied agreement that you would separate the property 50-50 if the relationship did not work out. You could also get your personal belongings back under a theory of bailment if he has been keeping you from having access.

If you tell me what type of property that is at stake, I may be better able to assist you.

Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge. Thank you.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/