Jonathan Leventhal
Jonathan Leventhal, Attorney
Experience:  Member State Bar of California
20036059

My attorney did not show up for my Emergency hearing for custody

Customer Question

My attorney did not show up for my Emergency hearing for custody of my kids and sent his partner in his place who was 72 not caught up on the case and cursed like a sailor. I lost the case because of his lack of preparedness. He forgot documents and he even told me I had a leveraged case and I got screwed afterward. Do I have any recourse.
Expert:  Jonathan Leventhal replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you can sue your attorney for mal practice. Your attorney has a duty to act as a reasonable prudent attorney. He did not do that by send another attorney who had little knowledge of the case and was not prepared.

You can also file a complaint with your state bar.

I hoped I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Jonathan Leventhal, Esq.

This is information only, NOT legal advice. No Attorney-client relationship has been created. Please consult an Attorney in your state for legal advice regarding this matter.

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.