i just got caught shoplifting today and it is my 2nd offense…

Customer Question
i just got caught shoplifting...
i just got caught shoplifting today and it is my 2nd offense within a year. first it happened in july of 2009. what will likely happen or the fines, charges?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.It depends here on the value of the merchandise as to amount of fine and seriousness of the offense.

If the value of the property or services is more than $35,000 or the property is a firearm, you will face felony charges and a potential sentence of up to 20 years in prison and $100,000 in fines.

If the value is greater than $5,000 but less than $35,000 or the property is a trade secret or explosive, you will also face felony charges and up to 10 years in prison with fines reaching $20,000.

If the value of the property or services is more than $1,000 and less than $5,000 you will face up to 5 years in prison and fines of $10,000.

If the value is between $500 and $1,000 your charge will likely be a gross misdemeanor and your potential sentence could reach up to one year in jail and $3,000 in fines.

Any cases involving property or services valued at less than $500 is a misdemeanor and punishable by up to 90 days in jail and fines of up to $1,000.

this did not quite answer my first question. and of course i did not give better details. my 1st misdemeanor was under 500 dollars and this other amt was not told to me. at the time of receiving the ticket. the loss prevention woman told th officer that it was under 500 dollars. i need to know if i need a lawyer and what are my chances of receiving the 1,000 dollar fine since this is my 2nd charge for shoplifting. are they harder on you. and will this stay in my record permanently. since they told me if no other charges happen within the year of the first charge they automatically take it off my record. i live in minnesota.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
I'd say you are looking at 90 days and a fine of $1k.since it is second offense here and pretty recent I wouldn't expect anything less here.