I got divorced last month. Our agreement states that Ill pay…

Customer Question
I got divorced last month...
I got divorced last month. Our agreement states that I'll pay $6,800 to my Ex as my part in a personal loan that was taken out during our marriage.
I just discovered that my parents had sent me over $100,000 (I thought $50,000) since we got married. Part of it was used to pay his tuition as he would have been dropped out of his classes otherwise. I am wondering if there is anyway that I can "take" back the gift of paying for his tuition. Basically it's the same amount as what I would need to pay him. So I am wondering if even our divorce is final this can be changed and in the end neither him or me need to pay anything to the other person.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.You woudl have to go back to court to motion to modify the decree.You certainly may argue for change.But you need the judge to agree here and modify otherwise you are in contempt.You can certainly try to get court to agree and modify here.It might be worth a try to see if judge will go along with you here and modify the decree.
Thank you for your quick answer...so is it in general possible to receive a money gift back? He argues that the money my parents sent was a gift and I can get it back.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You argue it was a loan here not a gift.Its worth a try here to seek modification.Otherwise you will owe here.
The $6,800 are part of a $25,000 loan we had taken out.

The $100,000 is money my parents sent the last few years to help me live a comfortable life. Unfortunately some of this money ended up paying some of his College tuition.
I am trying to accept him that I paid part of his tuition with money from my parents. And in return I don't have to do the loan re-payment. He argues that the Tuition payment was a gift and I still need to pay the loan re-payment to him
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Again argue that the money spent for his tuition was not a gift but that parents expected repayment.You can certainly argue for evening this out since he benefited directly.