ERISA question for city worker. I began working for my present…

Customer Question
ERISA question for city worker...
ERISA question for city worker. I began working for my present employer 25 years ago. For the first 3.5 years, I was classed as a temporary part-time worker (although most weeks I worked 40 hours) for purposes of benefit (including retiment) accrual. The employer is a government entity, and, as stated in its personnel rules, temporary workers were not eligible for its retirement plan; as they did not participate in Social Security, no SS (or any other retirement benefits) was set aside for me during those 3 years. I still have all my pay stubs for those 3.5 years. Do I have any legal basis for having those 3.5 years accredited to my retirement benefit? I would gladly pay my share of the retirement plan deductions for those years.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Response: Unfortunately no. Eventhough that you worked over 40 hours per week, your classification as a temporary worker is what counts for the purposes of determining your eligibility for benefits.

I didn't think you were really the one I asked to respond to my question, and I'm really not satisfied with your answer; it just seems like a "canned response"; if that's all that ERISA amounts to, just "whatever the employer wants to do", why have it.