I have been director at a childrens treatment center for ninr…

Customer Question
I have been director at...
I have been director at a children's treatment center for ninr years. One of the directors constntly treats me with disrespect and embarrasses me at board meetings. Tonight I walked out of the meeting during one of his tirades. Most of the other board members just sit there and listen. I do not know if this member wants me gone but the situation is not tolerable. do I have and legal standing? If I leave do I have the option of filing for unemployment insurance?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Roger, Attorney

If the employer is harassing you, you can file a complaint with the state department of labor.

Also, if you quit for good cause, you can collect unemployment. "Good Cause" reasons may include:

* Unsafe working conditions.

* Your work environment is damaging to your health. You'll need medical verification proving that your work is making you sick or making an existing condition worse.

* There has been a change in your working conditions that is causing hardship or harm. For instance, a change in work hours or duration, a pay reduction or you are being asked to perform job duties that are very different than what you were hired for.

* Your original employment contract has been broken by your employer. For instance, your employer has asked you to work different hours than what was agreed upon in your contract.

* Sexual harassment. There is no reason that a person should have to work in a threatening environment. If sexual harassment persists even after your employer has been given the opportunity to correct the problem you may be eligible for unemployment benefits.

* Quitting to protect yourself or your child from domestic violence. You may have to prove that you tried to keep your job.

* Quitting a job within 30 days of your start date, because it ended up being "unsuitable." For instance, the commute was too long, or the job put your health, safety or morals at risk. After 30 days from your start date, it will be found that you have agreed to the unsuitable condition and will not qualify for benefits

http://www.ehow.com/how_4679591_still-qualify-unemployment-insurance-benefits.html