I have 2 misdemeanor assault charges on my record from 1989.

Customer Question
can I get them removed...
I have 2 misdemeanor assault charges on my record from 1989. can I get them removed in north carolina
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.You may be able to seek expungement here under NC law.

Section 15A-145. Expunction of records for first offenders under the age of 18 at the time of conviction of misdemeanor; expunction of certain other misdemeanors.

(a) Whenever any person who has not previously been convicted of any felony, or misdemeanor other than a traffic violation, under the laws of the United States, the laws of this State or any other state, (i) pleads guilty to or is guilty of a misdemeanor other than a traffic violation, and the offense was committed before the person attained the age of 18 years, ii) pleads guilty to or is guilty of a misdemeanor possession of alcohol pursuant to G.S. 18B-302(b)(1), and the offense was committed before the person attained the age of 21 years, he may file a petition in the court where he was convicted for expunction of the misdemeanor from his criminal record. The petition cannot be filed earlier than: (i) two years after the date of the conviction, or (ii) the completion of any period of probation, whichever occurs later, and the petition shall contain, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) An affidavit by the petitioner that he has been of good behavior for the two-year period since the date of conviction of the misdemeanor in question and has not been convicted of any felony, or misdemeanor other than a traffic violation, under the laws of the United States or the laws of this State or any other state.
(2) Verified affidavits of two persons who are not related to the petitioner or to each other by blood or marriage, that they know the character and reputation of the petitioner in the community in which he lives and that his character and reputation are good.
(3) A statement that the petition is a motion in the cause in the case wherein the petitioner was convicted.
(4) Affidavits of the clerk of superior court, chief of police, where appropriate, and sheriff of the county in which the petitioner was convicted and, if different, the county of which the petitioner is a resident, showing that the petitioner has not been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor other than a traffic violation under the laws of this State at any time prior to the conviction for the misdemeanor in question or during the two-year period following that conviction.
(5) An affidavit by the petitioner that no restitution orders or civil judgments representing amounts ordered for restitution entered against him are outstanding.
The petition shall be served upon the district attorney of the court wherein the case was tried resulting in conviction. The district attorney shall have 10 days thereafter in which to file any objection thereto and shall be duly notified as to the date of the hearing of the petition.
The judge to whom the petition is presented is authorized to call upon a probation officer for any additional investigation or verification of the petitioner’s conduct during the two-year period that he deems desirable.
(b) If the court, after hearing, finds that the petitioner had remained of good behavior and been free of conviction of any felony or misdemeanor, other than a traffic violation, for two years from the date of conviction of the misdemeanor in question, the petitioner has no outstanding restitution orders or civil judgments representing amounts ordered for restitution entered against him, and (i) petitioner was not 18 years old at the time of the offense in question, or (ii) petitioner was not 21 years old at the time of the offense of possession of alcohol pursuant to G.S. 18B-302(b)(1), it shall order that such person be restored, in the contemplation of the law, to the status he occupied before such arrest or indictment or information. No person as to whom such order has been entered shall be held thereafter under any provision of any laws to be guilty of perjury or otherwise giving a false statement by reason of his failure to recite or acknowledge such arrest, or indictment, information, or trial, or response to any inquiry made of him for any purpose.
(c) The court shall also order that the said misdemeanor conviction, or a civil revocation of a drivers license as the result of a criminal charge, be expunged from the records of the court, and direct all law-enforcement agencies, including the Division of Motor Vehicles, bearing record of the same to expunge their records of the conviction or a civil revocation of a drivers license as the result of a criminal charge. This subsection does not apply to civil or criminal charges based upon the civil revocation, or to civil revocations under G.S. 20-16.2. The clerk shall forward a certified copy of the order to the sheriff, chief of police, or other arresting agency. The clerk shall forward a certified copy of the order to the Division of Motor Vehicles for the expunction of a civil revocation provided the underlying criminal charge is also expunged. The civil revocation of a drivers license shall not be expunged prior to a final disposition of any pending civil or criminal charge based upon the civil revocation. The sheriff, chief or head of such other arresting agency shall then transmit the copy of the order with a form supplied by the State Bureau of Investigation to the State Bureau of Investigation, and the State Bureau of Investigation shall forward the order to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(d) The clerk of superior court in each county in North Carolina shall, as soon as practicable after each term of court in his county, file with the Administrative Office of the Courts, the names of those persons granted a discharge under the provisions of this section, and the Administrative Office of the Courts shall maintain a confidential file containing the names of persons granted conditional discharges. The information contained in such file shall be disclosed only to judges of the General Court of Justice of North Carolina for the purpose of ascertaining whether any person charged with an offense has been previously granted a discharge.
(d1) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section and any other provision of law, a person may file a petition in the court where the person was convicted for expunction of a misdemeanor conviction from the person’s criminal record if the person has no prior felony convictions and was convicted for misdemeanor larceny pursuant to G.S. 14-72(a) more than 15 years prior to the filing of the petition.
The petition shall contain, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) An affidavit by the petitioner that he has not been convicted of any felony, has been of good behavior for the 15-year period preceding the filing of the petition, and has not been convicted of any misdemeanor other than a traffic violation, under the laws of the United States or the laws of this State or any other state during the 15-year period.
(4) Affidavits of the clerk of superior court, chief of police, where appropriate, and sheriff of the county in which the petitioner was convicted and, if different, the county of which the petitioner is a resident, showing that the petitioner has not been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor other than a traffic violation under the laws of this State during the 10-year period preceding the filing of the petition.
The judge to whom the petition is presented is authorized to call upon a probation officer for any additional investigation or verification of the petitioner’s conduct during the 10-year period that he deems desirable.
If the court, after hearing, finds that the petitioner had remained of good behavior and been free on conviction of any felony or misdemeanor, other than a traffic violation, during the 10-year period preceding the petition, the petitioner has no outstanding restitution orders or civil judgments representing amounts ordered for restitution entered against him, and the petitioner was convicted of misdemeanor larceny pursuant to G.S. 14-72(a) more than 10 years prior to the filing of the petition, it shall order that such person be restored, in the contemplation of the law, to the status he occupied before such arrest or indictment or information. No person as to whom such order has been entered shall be held thereafter under any provision of any laws to be guilty of perjury or otherwise giving a false statement by reason of his failure to recite or acknowledge such arrest, or indictment, information, or trial, or response to any inquiry made of him for any purpose.
The provisions of subsections (c), (d), and (e) of this section shall apply to a petition for expunction filed or granted pursuant to this subsection.
(e) A person who files a petition for expunction of a criminal record under this section must pay the clerk of superior court a fee of one hundred twenty-five dollars ($125.00) at the time the petition is filed. Fees collected under this subsection shall be deposited in the General Fund. This subsection does not apply to petitions filed by an indigent

Expungment..

http://resources.lawinfo.com/en/Free-Legal-Forms/Expungement-Lawyers-Executive-Clemency-Info/North-Carolina/index.html

Edited by RayAnswers on 6/18/2010 at 2:04 AM EST