Under a requirements contract, the goverment fills all actual…

Customer Question
Under a requirements contract, the...
Under a requirements contract, the goverment fills all actual purchase requirements for certain supplies or services during a specified contract period. Some have argued that requirements contracts are illusory because the government isn't really require to buy anything--i.e., no consideration, no contract. State why requirements contracts are or are not valid contracts under the law; support conclusions with analysis.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

A contract consists of 3 components offer, acceptance[ptance and consideration. Consideration is basically the aometnhing done or given that no legal obligation exists to do, or something not given for wnhich a legal obligation exists to do.

A requirements copntract is not illusory because under a requirements contract the government must buy the products from the supplier. This is somethng the government was not obligated to do. The government gives up its legal right to purchase elsewhere and that is enough "consideration" to establish a legal agreement.

If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.