I AM FROM NEW JERSEY I PURCHASED A TRAILOR HOME 4 YRS.OLD FROM…

Customer Question
I AM FROM NEW JERSEY...
I AM FROM NEW JERSEY I PURCHASED A TRAILOR HOME 4 YRS.OLD FROM THE OWNER. IT HAS PROPANE GAS AND TODAY I GOT A CALL FROM THE GAS COMPANY THAT I OWN THE OWNERS SON-IN-LAW MONEY FOR THE GAS AND THIS IS 3 WEEKS AFTER SETTLEMENT. THE GAS COMPANY CAME AND LOCKED MY TANKS [NO GAS FOR SHOWERS ETC.] UNTIL I GIVE THEM THE MONEY ,. I SPOKE TO THE REALTOR AND SHE SAID THAT THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO THE TABLE AT SETTLEMENT. I TOLD THEM TO COME AND GET THE TANKS OF GAS AND SELL IT TO GIVE THE PERSON THEIR MONEY BACK AND THEY WANT ME TO GIVE THEM THIS OUTRAGES AMOUNT OF MONEY. THE SON-IN-LAW WAS NOT THE OWNER OF THE HOME HIS FATHER -IN-LAW SOLD THE PLACE BECAUSE HE WOULDN'T PAY HIM RENT. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THIS PERSON IS. I NEED HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
THANKS XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello. Your recourse here is to take the seller to small claims court for not disclosing that there was an outstanding propane bill due at the time of the closing (the realtor is correct -- it should have been disclosed by the seller at closing). If the seller is unwilling to assist you and pay you this money upon request, the only option that you have is small claims court. I wish I could tell you that you can get some movement a bit faster than waiting for several weeks for a small claims court hearing, but there is nothing that you can do here but pay the propane company (or let the old propane company take the tanks and hire a new propane company) in order to have gas for showers, cooking, etc.

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.

THANK YOU

i don't think the owner knew. and the son-inlaw had all ready payed for the gas but waited till now to ask for the money .
It doesn't matter what the owner knew and did not know -- the propane tanks were attached to the trailer that he sold to you and he should have brought the tanks up to the realtor before the closing and then it is the realtor's job to investigate what must be paid at the closing table. Because he did not disclose this to the realtor, he is still responsible.

Edited by Mary M Esquire on 6/18/2010 at 1:50 AM EST