Is it against privacy laws for a homeowners association to…

Customer Question
Is it against privacy laws...
Is it against privacy laws for a homeowners association to ask for a copy of your homeowners insurance policy?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Dear JACUSTOMER - Assuming it is in the rules or bylaws of the HOA is would not be against any privacy laws. This type of request is insure that the various homeowners are adequately protected in case of some common disaster and that there is sufficient liability to protect adjacent homeowners. Asking for proof of insurance is common in many areas such as the state requiring auto insurance etc. It really has nothing to do with individual privacy rights.

Dave Kennett