I have a written contract with a building contractor that states…

Customer Question
I have a written contract...
I have a written contract with a building contractor that states he will receive final pmt. after job is complete. (I'm in TN)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
I read your facts, is there a question I can help you with?
I need to know if he can actually put a lien on my house because I stopped payment on the check?
They can put a mechanics and materialmen's lien on the house, but you can clear it off through a court action and it sounds like you're heading there anyway. In addition, if he puts it on there unjustly you can sue him for damages.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Is my contract still valid or am I fighting a losing battle?