If a spouse has incurred debt during the marriage, and is considering…

Customer Question
If a spouse has incurred...
If a spouse has incurred debt during the marriage, and is considering bankrucy, will both partner's credit be affected? All debts were withheld from the unwilling partner.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Thomas McJD, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney

The bankruptcy will report only to the filing person's credit report. If both spouses owe for the debt, however, only the filing person's obligation will be discharged. The other spouse would remain liable for joint debt and if that spouse failed to pay, it would report to that spouse's credit.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say and will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Sorry, again, just in layman's terms, if the debts were incureed on one partners SS #'s, and the other partner knew nothing about it, nor are these accounts joint accounts with his information, declaring bankrucy would not affect his credit rating. Correct?
Correct.