Hello, I ave just encountered a case of identity theft, as…

Customer Question
Hello, I ave just encountered...
Hello, I ave just encountered a case of identity theft, as far as I can tell anyways. A.T. & T. phone company who I have never done buisness with called me this morning about an account that I had with them. I told them I did not open the account, my first and last name with the correct spelling, my complete address and the last four numbers of my soicial. All of the information that I gave suposedly matched the account which they had open. The man who I spoke to from the Fraud department was trying to convince me to give out my full social number over the phone, I told them I would not give out this type of sensitive information over the phone with a company I have never done bussiness with, the man I spoke with said I was being incorropitive because of this. I told the man I was speaking with that I would sew if they did not shut down the account today or if they tried to hold me financially responsible for any of it. I would like to know if I wold have a legal case?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Yes, you do. If it is not you, then you're not responsible. However, if they are not satisfied that it is indeed ID theft, they can charge and eventually they'll file suit, and then you'd have to show the Court that it was not you to nullify the charge. So I would try to work with them over the phone, but if they're being unreasonable, wait for the court to prove your case.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”