I co-signed for a car loan for my son. He got in trouble and…

Customer Question
I co-signed for a car...
I co-signed for a car loan for my son. He got in trouble and went to live with his father. He handed me the key and said he isn't going to make the payments. Now he wants the car back and only his name is XXXXX XXXXX title. Do I have to give the car to him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I'm sorry but yes. If his name is XXXXX XXXXX title, but not yours, he legally owns the car. You, as a co-signer but w/o name on title, are just responsible for the payments jointly with him. This is unusual b/c usually co-signers DO go on the title as well.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”