My wife and I were married on 7 March 2009. In January of…

Customer Question
My wife and I were...
My wife and I were married on 7 March 2009. In January of 2010 she moved out claiming I was verbally abusive. She has been in and out of the house since then, never staying for more than a week. About a month ago she quit her job and I have been paying all the bills since. Now I have decided that the marriage is over and she text me saying she is seeking temporary spousal support. Can I be ordered to pay this after only really being married less than 18 months? Does she have to have an attorney to seek these monies?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2010
Lawyer: loeblaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
She would have to show extraordinary circumstances that her life changed significantly as a result of the marriage in 18 months. It is doubtful that a court would award significant, if any, support on a marriage of such short duration.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.