my child has been accused of touching her step brother, she…

Customer Question
my child has been accused...
my child has been accused of touching her step brother, she says that she didn't do this. I want to have her take a polygraph test, and she wants to as well... what kind of right does she have have? she is almost 12
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

First a polygraph would not be effective with a child her age and second it couldn't be used in a court of law to disprove that she did what she is accused of since polygraphs are inadmissible.
i talked to someone yesterday that does a "voice" type of polygraph that would work for her age.. do you know anything about those?
There might be someone who does those types of "polygraphs," which are actually voice stress analysis, but they are not accepted by the courts or any other government source as established scientific evidence and are therefore of absolutely not probative weight or value and not admissible.
what are my options? I have NOT been contacted by anyone. This supposeably happened last month, I have no idea what is going on with anything
If you have not been contacted by "anyone" then how would you know that your daughter was accused of something? Someone had to tell you about the accusation. In any event, at this point, there is no action you should be taking. If you are contacted by law enforcement of a government agency, then you will want to consider hiring an attorney to assist you in protecting your daughter's rights. Until then, you should not muddy the waters by having her interrogated.
we talked to the police last month, which is how i found out about what supposeably happened. the police officer told my 12 year old that she WOULDN'T pass a polygraph test, is this something that this lady officer should have told a 12 year old? This was on May 6th. and have not heard from anyone since... what is the name of the attorney's that do this for a small amount of money, or free? i can't think of it off the top of my head
Well then you have talked to someone and it was law enforcement. You will want to consult with a juvenile criminal defense attorney. You might qualify for a public defender should she be charged but the Legal Services attorneys who handle cases for free don't handle criminal cases. If this is only a dependency issue with the Department of Children and Families, then a Legal Services or Legal Aid attorney might be able to assist you. Otherwise, you can contact your State's Bar Association to see if they have any attorneys who will take her case pro bono.

You are right that it wasn't appropriate for a law enforcement officer to say what she did to your child, but it isn't unlawful, just not professional.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I'm not sure what you mean by too late. I have been answering your question as soon as I can get to them, as I have other customers. Unless someone is knocking at your door right now asking questions, my response is not too late. If you have a follow-up question, please feel free to ask it and I'll respond as soon as possible.
Relist: second opinion.
second opinion
Lawyer: JPEsq, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JPEsq, Attorney
you have been given a 2nd and 3rd opinion... both attorneys have agreed with the previous expert's answer.