I signed a contract manager lease agreement with a 3 year purchase…

Customer Question
I signed a contract manager...
I signed a contract manager lease agreement with a 3 year purchase option on a restaurant. We agreed to $6000 deposit up front and $6000 deposit in 2 months, which would be applied to purchase if I decided to buy the store.

The restaurant is not performing to the level of sales which was represented to me. I am out my deposit money and ruining my credit, unable to pay my personal bills, not making enough money from the restaurant to pay myself a salary and still working my original career. Can I walk away from this? I have been in the contract for not quite a month.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. What your obligations are depend entirely upon your lease agreement. If your lease agreement does not give you the option to opt out early, if you walk out and default, you would be liable to the other party; but, having said that, if you really have no assets, he is unlikely to pursue a judgment that is uncollectible. You would be far better off to walk this transaction and take that risk, then staying with the transaction and defaulting on all your other bills. A defense to being liable, should the other party not simply let you out of the obligation, would be to take the position that the restaurant's operations were misrepresented to you, and had you known the accurate numbers, you would not have entered into the transaction.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.