Do I have legal recourse for being required to wear lipstick…

Customer Question
Do I have legal recourse...
Do I have legal recourse for being required to wear lipstick and high heels ("Hollywood" attire) at work?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

No you do not. An employer has a right to require reasonable attire in the place of business. Unless you have some disability that prevents you from wearing the clothes, etc., you do not have a basis for not complying.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

So, the company has the right to, indirectly and unofficially, enforce it's "Hollywood Attire" policy? I am not talking about professional attire (i.e., suit and heels); rather, the girls at the front desk are indirectly instructed to wear provocative clothing, high heels (no flats permitted, as we will be called on it)! and lipstick at all times. This is seriously legal?

Is this requirement limited to the people who sit at the front desk? Is this a receptionist's desk? Do any men sit at the desk to provide this function and what are they required to wear?

This "requirement" is specifically for the people who sit at the front receptionist desks (we have 3 separate locations amongst which we alternate). The "rule" is "if it's too provocative on the top, then take it easy on the bottom (i.e., with pants and skirts)." There are NO men in our team of receptionists.

What you may have is a case of sex discrimination in that you are being required to wear attire not based on a general dress code but what appears to be a specific group of female employees. No other employees are required to meet the same standard.

You should complain to management that you feel this is discriminatory treatment and want a more reasonable standard. If that does not work I would take the issue to a local EEOC office.

There is NO WAY to talk to management as I will be fired. Can you recommend a local attorney who might be willing to help?

The site does not permit us to make specific recommendations. However, you can locate an attorney in your area who would be knowledgeable about discrimination claims on lawyers.com or findlaw.com. They list attorneys by geographic area and specialty. Speak to a few and select the one with which you are the most comfortable.

Relist: Answer quality.
Answers are very vague.
Lawyer: MDLaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Answers given were not vague at all. Expert gave correct and thorough information and answers.