I see a Dr. for chronic pain management at a healthcare facility…

Customer Question
I see a Dr. for...
I see a Dr. for chronic pain management at a healthcare facility, anyway someone supposedly called or told him in a appointment that he had with this patient and discussed myself and my husband that we were selling our meds. I was wondering if this is not a hippa violation and all of this was a bunch of bull my husband and i do not ever do that but none the less how can they discuss us what about patient dr confidentially.Please help me if you can Bethie bls1963
@live.com
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information

It appears that the doctor violated the HIPAA laws if he discussed your medical care with another patient.

HIPAA protects any personally-identifiable health information from unauthorized disclosure. Violation of HIPAA can subject the violator to both civil and criminal penalties.

Here is a site that you may find helpful in locating a lawyer in your area:

www.martindale.com

Here is a link to the HIPAA laws:

http://www.hipaa.org/

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.