My husband passed away, if his name was the only name on a…

Customer Question
My husband passed away, if...
My husband passed away, if his name was the only name on a medical bill and he haad no estate, would I, his wife, still be accountable for paying the bill?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/16/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.No if you singed no guarantee of payment and it sounds like you did not then this is husband's bill.If you say owned a house together or had other assets in his name the creditor can open up and estate and seek to force sale of his share.This is only done where he would have had significant assets that are worth it because this can be expensive for them to file and have lawyer involved.If there are no assets likely they let this go here.I m sorry for your loss here.

Edited by RayAnswers on 6/16/2010 at 8:58 PM EST