Following up on a question I asked on 6/13/10. my 14 yr.

Customer Question
Following up on a question...
Following up on a question I asked on 6/13/10.

my 14 yr. old son is possibly being charged with Criminal Mischief for accidentally breaking the glass on a token machine at a game room. . .

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3mbo7-my-14-yr-old-son-is-possibly-being-charged-with-criminal-mischief#ixzz0r1O7SkWT

I did speak with the machine owner. He turned out to be a decent enough guy. He accepted payment, from me, for ALL of the damages to his machine on the condition that he drops charges against my son.

My son was/is being charged with breaking the machine. The other four boys are being charged with stealing the tokens and tickets from the machine.

The other four boys have received their appearance tickets, we have avoided that so far.

It was yesterday that I paid the owner, $515, for damages and he agreed to drop the charges and IF he ever gets reimbursed from the others, he will reimburse me. Today, I get a call from the trooper wanting to give me the appearance ticket for my son to go to family court. He is aware of me paying the owner, the owner told me that he told the trooper he was dropping the charges on my son. The trooper insists on issuing the appearance ticket, said that family court told him to do so. Although, he talked to family court BEFORE the owner was paid AND agreed to drop the charges. He claims that it is up to the court to drop the charges?

True?

What should I do???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/16/2010
Lawyer: Lawyer Lori, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Attorney
Typically, the family court will still want to have the child appear in court. The result most likely will be that the child will be ordered to pay restitution for the damages (so bring your receipt) and, since the court knows that you are making the payment and not the child, will probably also order some kind of community service for your son to perform. And then the court may drop the charges, especially if the owner is in agreement with that.

Hope this helps.