I have worked for an employer for two years, I was accused…

Customer Question
I have worked for an...
I have worked for an employer for two years, I was accused of leaving work and getting paid for the hours that I had not been at work. I was terminated and my employer has turned it over to attorneys that collect money for recovery loss in a store, they have put a figure in the letter they said I must pay, or it is going to be a law suite, which will then be more money that they will ask. When I ask for a breakdown of what exactly I owe this money for, they will not give me one, the letter says i owe a total of 7000.00 but does not say what exactly this is for. Also Prior to my termination they had a loss prevention person speak to me and ask questions, next they had me admitting things that I didn't even do then they had me sign the paper they had me write out.I was suspended for one week and then terminated. I don't know if I should just pay the 7000.00 because I wouldn't want any criminal charges involved They said I have a year to pay this at 600.00 pm. I am 21 years,please advise
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/16/2010
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

hi

well, if you know that you left work and commit fraud on your employer, then you should consider paying the amount if you feel they have evidence to prove you guilty.

however, you do not have to without them getting a judgment for the money, which means they have to sue you to get it.

so you can wait until they take legal action and then subpoena via discovery the information you want from them - of course you need to weigh how much this might cost you in legal fees with what you know pertaining to whether you are guilty or not. the other thing you need to consider is if you pay without a fight, will that give them basis to file some sort of criminal charges against you. again, only you know if you did what they are accusing you of.

if you want to consult with a local civil litigation attorney, you can contact the CA Bar Association - contact information here

My concern is any criminal charges they may try to put against me, are you saying if I pay this then I am basically admitting to doing this and then they can actually file criminal charges against me? The amount they are asking for any type of settlement is completely unrealistic, should I wait and let them sue me and in the mean time can they file criminal charges because I have not paid

Thank You

hi

yes, that is what i am saying.

so, if you decide to pay then you should consider demanding a written agreement wherein they agree no criminal charges will ever be filed

again, you can consult with a local attorney at a low or free consultation fee.