My baby is two months old born IN WA state. The father lives…

Customer Question
My baby is two months...
My baby is two months old born IN WA state. The father lives in NE. He threatens if I do not come back to NE by this Friday that he is going to come to WA to get the baby. There is not a parenting plan put into place at this time. Can he legally come get the baby from me. what are my legal optoins
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/16/2010
Lawyer: BizAttorney, Attorney replied 8 years ago
BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
No so long as you are not married. Since the baby was born in WA, then WA has jurisdiction over you and the baby. A NJ court can't do anything since it doesn't have jurisdiction. The baby's father can petition the WA court for visitation/custody. First he would have to prove paternity, then he would have to ask for visitation or custody. If the baby's birth certificate doesn't have the father, then the father will have to get a court order before he can legally take the child from you.
Thank you for your response. However the state is Nebraska not NJ, but I think the basis is the same. I also need to find out if I file in the state of WA and then go to the state of NE can the father make me stay in NE if I go to visit
It would be the same you are correct.

No, if you file in WA, then the father can't make you stay in Nebraska if you go visit. I would caution you to get a temporary order granting you full physical custody of the child before going to Nebraska. That way if he wants to keep the kid, you will have a WA order giving you full custody.