I have a girlfriend out of state whom I borrowed money to on…

Customer Question
I have a girlfriend out...
I have a girlfriend out of state whom I borrowed money to on several occasions and now we are considering living together. I have done alot for her financially and otherwise and she has offered to give me 12% of a law suit she has that may or may not pay her a substantial amount of money. I am willing to help her through Nursing School and such and I would like to live with her also. If she does get a substantial amount of money and decides to start her own life, or be with someone else, or if at any time we break up along the way, I would certainly want to collect on the agreement of 12% and not feel cheated or fooled into a relationship that was based upon my financial backing. If she received nothing then I would expect nothing no problem. If she recieved alot I would be elated. We may stay together forever but we ever broke up I would at least feel like I was not made the fool. I would like to get this in writing and be able to legally go after our agreement if we ever split up.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

You should get both the original debt and the promise to pay the 12% in writing in two separate documents. You don't need a lawyer to do this. It can even be written by hand. It just needs to say dates, times, locations, amounts, and any other details about your situation.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly
I would not care about the original debt I just want to know our 12% agreement is iron-clad and in the worst case scenario I would collect my money. Would a florida attorney draw this up for us and we could sign and notorize it. And in the wost case situation could an attorney "go after" this agreement. Also can you reccommed a Florida attorney in the Port Charlotte area that could handle this properly.
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Sure, if you just want to do the 12% agreement that's fine. You can do it yourself or hire a lawyer. This is very simple so it shouldn't cost much.

Try searching for someone in your area at www.martindale.com or www.lawyers.com.

Good luck,
Kimberly