I am a 48 year old female who owns her own home (with a small…

Customer Question
I am a 48 year...
I am a 48 year old female who owns her own home (with a small mortgage). My 37 year old boyfriend is about to move into my home with his 10 year old daughter. We have been together for 4 years, my 19 and 21 year old sons just moved out in the past several months. I need advice, should we sign some kind of agreement? What should I ask of him? Half of all bills or 2/3 of them? (because of the expense of his daughter) If something happens to me, my sons will still inherit if we aren't married, right? Should I keep all the bills in my name? I don't know what to do about or suggest to him as far as how we will run the house financially. Please let me know what you think....I want to protect myself in case this does not work out. I need to know that my home and finances will be safe should things get nasty. He is getting ready to try to sell his own home and does not have any equity in it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Dear JACUSTOMER - CT does not recognize common law marriage so your boyfriend would have no claim on your estate. You really should have a will rather than assuming your children will inherit, which they will but having it in a will is much better. As far as some written agreement you could do that if you wish but so long as you keep the house in your name you can evict your boyfriend if things don't work out just as easily as taking him to court on some agreement.

Just remember that he will be the same as a tenant in your property so if you ever want him to leave you will have to go through the legal eviction process if he refuses to leave. You could do a lease but then he would have the right to stay until it was up and you may want him to leave sooner.

I know all of this sounds morbid but you are asking how to protect yourself in case of problems. If things go well then none of this is important. So long as he is not put on the deed he has no interest in your property, regardless of what he pays for. That would be considered the same as rent or payment for use of the property.

You should also keep all bank accounts separate as well as other financial accounts.

Dave Kennett

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is wonderful. what about how to go about who should pay what and/or how much? I don't know if we should split the expenses or if I should just ask him for a certain amount each month. I don't want him to feel like he's "renting". I want him to feel that this is his home. But I don't want to end up paying for everything either.

I can't tell you what you should pay or not pay as that is a private matter between the two of you and is not a legal matter. I wouldn't say he was "renting". All I meant was that if there was an issue in some dispute in the future about how much he paid etc the court would simply consider whatever he paid the same as rent. I'm not suggesting you tell him that now.

Beyond that you and he will have to decide what is fair to both of you.

Dave

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
thank you!
No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave