We paid a firm Hays & Associates for a loan modification over…

Customer Question
We paid a firm Hays...
We paid a firm Hays & Associates for a loan modification over 10 months ago. We sent a registered letter requesting a refund and to date have not gotten any. They also called and tried to intimidate us. They are located in California. We paid $2995.00. Where do we go for help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: JPEsq, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JPEsq, Attorney

hays & Associates is a law firm... did you sign an agreement with them? What was the $2995 supposed to cover. Some times the agreement is to pay for the lawyer's time, sometimes it is to actually execute a service.

Was there a guarantee?

Yes we signed a contract with them. Yes there was an guarantee. The money was to cover the modification. Their contract is very hard to read and the contract was supposed to cover a loan modification. They did tell us that there was a loan modification agreement with Bank of America however when we called Bank of America they said there was never any agreement let alone for a higher amount than we were paying. They had a web site with case update and things were added to our file that were not ours. We just don't know where to go now. We are working with Bank of America on our own but need to try and get our money back.

Ok, well you can do 2 things, and I would do both.

First, file a small claims lawsuit to get your money back. This is easy and you can do it in your County in Missouri.

Second, and this usually gets some action, file a disciplinary complaint against the attorney if he refuses to return calls or refund the money. You can do that right here: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?cid=10179

I saw on Hays and Associates website that they recently relocated. So if you make sure you have been calling the right number, I would give them one more chance to respond and then file away.