My daughter just turned 18 in March.She has been arrested twice…

Customer Question
My daughter just turned 18...
My daughter just turned 18 in March.She has been arrested twice for prostitution and served time in jail both times.She has another court appearance at the end of June,but not for prostitution.She is a drug true drug addict.Has been offered free help with long term rehab,but she says she doesnt need it and wont go.As of right now she is homeless.Is there a way that a judge can order her to go away to rehab?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

She can plea bargain for rehab and a judge can order that she attend. A judge can also order her to attend rehab as part of a condition for probation. The problem is that if she does not want to go she may not be offered this alternative.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

She is on probation for something she did as a minor.I don't think she will plea bargin if she can't admit she has a problem.She say's she does not have a problem.As of yet she is not on probation for the prostitution.

A judge has the authority to order her into rehab, but more than likely, she will face the penalty for what she has been charged with.

I as her parent and alot of others who know her very well think that she needs long term rehab.She is the only one who thinks she does'nt.Is there anything I can do as far as trying to get the judge to send her to rehab?

Probably not. You have no standing now that the child is an adult. even people that need help must face the penal;ty for their crimes. if the crime was not drug related rehab will not be an option. A defense attorney can help with a plea bargain, but if your daughter does not want to accept the terms she cannot be forced to do so.

O.K. Thank You for your help.

You are welcome.