I hired a lawyer for an uncontesed divorce there are a few…

Customer Question
I hired a lawyer...
I hired a lawyer for an uncontesed divorce there are a few thing i wrote through on papers for him to change , he said he wont change them because he is not representing my husband , so if he dont agree we need to go to court . I agree with the changes i am fine with them my lawyer might fire me can he do that
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Your lawyer is correct, that he can not make changes if your husband does not agree to them.

Your lawyer can not fire you, but you can fire him. If he wants to be released from the case he will have to make a motion to the court and ask permission from the judge. If he has a valid reason, then the judge will allow him to no longer represent you.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly
My husband is the one who asked for the changes , and I agreed to them . He just doesnt want to type new papers. The change is that in the area of decision making , i have full custody but we both can make decisions regarding education, religion, and school not a big deal
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
If your husband agrees to them then there should be no problem making the changes, but it still has to go through both of the lawyers to make sure it is correct.
there is only my lawyer he didnt hire one
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Then you have to have your lawyer make the changes.
If you want to fire your lawyer you can do that, and then you can make your own changes.
than how do i file papers and will he have to give money back
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
You file papers the same way your husband is filing papers. You file them with the court and serve them on your husband.

No, the lawyer does not give money back unless you agreed to pay him by the hour and only for certain work, then you would get back anything not charged to you so far. You have to discuss that with your lawyer.

If this is an uncontested divorce you shouldn't need a lawyer.
Sorry , my husband signed papers already we to serve in an unconith the changes . We dont have to serve him if its uncontested , so if i get papers from my lawyer do i just bring them to the court
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
The inital papers are served even if it is uncontested, unless he signs a waiver. That is still service.

You can't file the papers yourself until you fire your lawyer and he files a document in court saying that he no longer represents you. Then you are on your own and can bring the documents to the clerk of the court to file them.
He told me he didnt have to serve him if its uncontested , he went to my lawyers office to sign papers
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Right, so when he went to your lawyer's office, he signed the waiver.
I am not clear whether you have any other questions. I believe I have fully answered all of your questions.