I am employed by a major city in an exempt position that I…

Customer Question
I am employed by a...
I am employed by a major city in an exempt position that I started just a few months ago. AFter accepting the position (with a salary offer in writing) the city announced that they were reducing manager salaries by 5% effective 7/1.

My question is: because I have an offer in writing, can they do that to me specifically. And more broadly, if salaries are based on published salary schedules, can a city just cut them for the unrepresented group? The attitude here seems to be, if you don't like it, vote with your feet. I am an at will employee.

Seems like a violation of contract law to me........ but of course, I'm not an attorney. What about vested rights violations?

Oh, and they are raising our pension contributions significantly at the same time!!

Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Do you have a separate written employment agreement or contract with your employer?

No, I do not, but some other exempt ees do.

Then, unfortunately, you are a true at-will employee. I know that it may seem to be unfair/unjust but you serve at the will/whim of the employer. Just like the pay can go up, it can go down. Same is true with benefits.

Again, the facts may seem to be unfair/unjust -- and they are. However, they are not against the law.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!