I am in TN. My dog escaped our fenced in back yard and attacked…

Customer Question
I am in TN. My...
I am in TN. My dog escaped our fenced in back yard and attacked the neighbor's dog. They are suing us for vet bills of $150, missed wages of $200 and $2500 punitive damages. We have agreed to pay the $350 but didn't agree on the $2500. They are pursuing the lawsuit. Do we have any possibility of winning this? Do we require legal representation in court? Can we request a negotiation with a mediator?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Attorney replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney

­Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please respect the Honor System and click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

You may have a basis to negotiate to pay a lesser sum. Your attorney can help you evaluate what the other party's legitimate, recoverable claim to damages might be and he can assist you with developing a defense and/or negotiating the matter.

If the matter doesn't settle easily and early, mediation may be a possibility. However, it's important to understand that the other party doesn't have to settle during mediation and the matter may still go to trial. Regardless, even for mediation, you'll want to have your attorney's assistance. Your attorney can help you evaluate the value of the damages to the other party, as well as any settlement offers, to ensure your interests are protected.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).