Our roommates boyfriend lived with us for 2 years, and he…

Customer Question
Our roommate's boyfriend lived with...
Our roommate's boyfriend lived with us for 2 years, and he paid us $400 total in rent for the two years he lived here. When asked to pay us some more money for the utilities used he said we were lucky to get the $400 in the first place, that I was rediculous for thinking we would get anymore. We figured a fair price was $100 a month since we were paying $1575 plus our utilities every month. With that all calculated out, we figure he owes us $800. He also broke into our house once by cutting a hole in the window screen and climbing through the window. He has broken up with our roommate and moved out since then, but he still has a key to our house and we still have his deep freezer and wireless router. Do we have a case, or are we allowed to hold his things as collateral?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.I am assuming her that he isn't on the lease or authorized sub tenant so that might come up in small claims..You really have no legal right to hold his stuff.You can file small claims here for a share of the rent and seek judgment.That really is your only remedy here to seek money back for your losses.