I have been married for only 3 weeks and me and my spouse had…

Customer Question
I have been married for...
I have been married for only 3 weeks and me and my spouse had a major argument one night recently and he physically harmed me. He then took his personal belongings and left. Before he left he threatened me that if I didn't give him back the ring right then that he would harm me. The next I filed a police report against him about what happened (with photographs of the bruises) but didn't press charges. If I hire a lawyer and file for divorce do I have a case for getting the ring back? What happens if he sells the ring before we go to court? Should I get the police involved to try and recoup the ring since a police report has been filed? What should I do next? Btw, there are no assets to divide up and there are no children involved. The house is in my name.

Jan Houston, Texas
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

I am very sorry to hear of your dilemma, Jan.

Since you did get married, the ring was a gift to you and you are entitled to keep it. It would be a family law matter and the police are not likely to get involved since technically you cannot steal from your spouse.

It will depend on the value of the ring whether it will be worth it to pursue its return or a judgment for the value of the ring through divorce proceedings. If it is not worth that much you could spend more in attorneys fees seeking to recover it.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.